Best-selling author of The Fred Factor
What’s the story?
- How to be the one?
- Speakers are using stories
- If you understand someone’s personal story you can better understand their professional success or lack there of.
- What is your story? Drama, thriller, etc
How does working for you affect your team member’s story?
- Are they a better person because of their relationship with you?
- People are tired of hype, it is not enough to tell a good story, there has to be substance behind the hype.
Leaders don’t tell a better story, they make a story better!
- We want leaders who help us make our stories better.
- Do we treat people as if they are a WIP or WAC.
- WAC=Work Already Complete.
- WIP=Work in Progress.
- Need to recognize the potential of people, don’t act if they can’t grow and improve. You are there to help improve their story.
- It is always a challenge not to become cynic.
- How can we be story shapers?
Story permeates every aspect of leadership
- They may need a nudge.
- This comes in form of hope.
- They have resigned themselves to think that they can’t progress beyond where they are.
A) Resell them on themselves, on their own value.
B) Re-Narrate their story.
C) Re-Energize them, get them started again, reinvigorate them.
- Hope=having something new for them to try and also for them to be willing to try it.
- Got to get people to struggle.
- Heroism is not possible without a struggle.
A) Nobody is exempt from struggle.
B) Refocus from present struggles to future hopes.
C) Redefine failure.
- Failure is something that happens to you, not something that defines who you are.
- With no resistance no hope of success.
You must learn or languish, no matter how bad the circumstances.
- Look for lesson.
- Look for destination.
- Look at the affect your story has on others, it always impacts others, it always intersects with others.
Be shapers of stories
- Positively shape the stories of others.
- Catch the other person’s story.
- It takes slowing down so you can catch other people’s stories.
- When you hear the story you must respond to it.
- It takes unconditional acceptance of their story.
- When we reject a person’s story we reject them.
1) What is your greatest hope?
2) What is your greatest fear?
3) What would you most like to learn?
- Feel—listen with your heart.
I believe a cynic is a passionate person who does not want to risk being hurt or disappointed again.
- Tell your story.
- Here is where you find the connectivity, focus on how their story can be better as a result of hearing your story, how can you add value to them.
- Need to be a fellow conqueror together with them.
- Need to connect how your stories can blend together to make their story better.
- Tony Dungy stated earlier, ” that my story is about the many people who have poured themselves into my life”.
- Whose life are you investing in?
- Who are you pouring yourself into?
- It is people, ideas and experiences that shape our lives.
- People are primary.
- People are where our ideas and experiences come from.
- Might that our stories might be generous stories.
- Be a generous story, a giver.
- Be ye openers of doors.
Be shapers of other people’s stories.
Be the one who makes the stories of others even better.
Learn To Lead
Join to get our latest content by email.